Saturday, May 29, 2010

Unit 6, The interesting stuff is just getting here.

I am writing you from Galveston Island, TX. I decided to come to Galveston on this long weekend because I wanted to see the Gulf before it got ruined by the oil. The oil isn't here yet but it sure is headed this way. The ocean is still beautiful.
On our way here, I began to think about my military career. Wow, how I have changed. I was a 21 year old girl when I enlisted. I was not socialized when I was home schooled as a child due to the restraints that were put on me by a religion my parents believed in. When I went into the military, I was like a kid in a candy store. I drank like a sailor, cussed like a sailor and didn't care a thing about what anyone thought of me. I did 5 and 1/2 years, made it to E4 and got out honorably with 2 children and a husband.
The parts that I loved about the military was the working out during working hours as well as the community service that I came to know and love, and the nice gyms they had for us. I think that really is all. I didn't take advantage of everything there was to do in the places that I was at. I liked to watch tv so that is where my money went. Its almost like I did my teenage years in the Navy instead of when I was a teenager. Does this make sense to anyone?
I thought on my way here about my Navy career, I am young enough to do it again. Hmmm! I have three children now and a wonderful husband. Maybe I will do some reserve time. I don't want to uproot my entire family for something that might not work out now.
Michelle Castillo

1 comment:

  1. I understand because that happens to a lot of kids when they go away to college especially if their parents were overly strict.

    ReplyDelete